Chinese Reading – 厨房潮流化 – Learn Chinese Class

Kitchen Trends

厨房潮流化

Arguably the most important room in the house, the kitchen is a focal point for family life. It is here that meals are prepared, and in most cases, eaten. Most house

hold chores also take place in the kitchen. Western kitchens usually consist of a dining area separated from the space used to prepare meals by a counter. In Ireland, everyday family meals are mostly eaten here and close friends and neighbours are invited to the kitchen table for tea and snacks. The dining room is generally reserved for more special occasions or Sunday lunch.

厨房可以说是家居中最重要的一个空间,在整个家庭生活处于焦点位置。人们在这里做饭,也总是在这里吃饭。而大部分家庭杂务也大都源于厨房。西方的厨房通常用一个台子将吃饭区和做饭区隔开。在爱尔兰,人们日常大都是在厨房里吃饭,还会邀请好友和邻居到其厨房来品茶吃点心。一般只有在特殊场合或星期天中午才会在饭厅吃饭。

Similarly, kitchens in ancient Greece were also centres of the household. Their kitchens opened out onto a courtyard. The courtyard was where the family ate and recreated. However, in ancient Rome the average citizen lived in an apartment and didn’t have a kitchen. The take-away business was very lucrative in ancient Rome! Rich Romans did have kitchens, often very large ones too. Much in the same way that the modern kitchen has different cooking appliances for the preparation of different foods, the Roman kitchen had several separate fires for the same purpose. In fact, the Latin word for kitchen is “culina”. This has evolved into the word “culinary” ①pertaining to anything related to food or the kitchen.

在古代希腊,厨房同样也是家庭的中心。厨房与庭院相通。而庭院便是人们吃饭、休息的场所。然而,在古代罗马,普通老百姓只能住在没有厨房的房屋里。外卖生意在古代罗马出奇地好!但罗马有钱人的确拥有厨房,而且通常还是大厨房。在现代厨房中,会有不同的烹饪工具用来准备不同的饭菜,而罗马时期的厨房也有许多单独的灶具来处理这个问题,可谓有异曲同工之妙。事实上,拉丁语表示厨房的词汇是“culina”。而它已经演变成“culinary”这个词,意思是与食物和厨房相关。

In Ireland, the traditional farmhouse kitchen was a relatively large room. The centre of attraction was the large turf fire. The fireplace would have chairs circled around it where visitors could revive themselves with a cup of tea after a long journey. The traditional kitchen would also have a large pine table and a dresser displaying the chinaware. Although a spacious room, this type of kitchen would be cluttered with a wide array of copper, brass and iron implements.

在爱尔兰,传统的农家厨房是一个相当大的房间。最引人注目的地方就是拥有一个大泥炭炉。在火炉旁放着一圈凳子,客人可以边喝茶边休息,以缓解长途旅行的劳累之苦。传统的厨房还有一个松木大桌和一个摆放瓷碗的柜子。虽然厨房空间很大,但总是乱七八糟地堆满了各种铜制、黄铜制和铁制厨具。

By the sixties the kitchen had changed dramatically. Space and convenience became important goals in kitchen design. Modern timesaving appliances and furniture were neatly packed in. Wooden and stone slab floors ⑤gave way to user-friendly tile and linoleum. This type of kitchen was also divided into two parts by a counter. One side was used for preparing food and would usually consist of a cooker, sink, refrigerator, dishwasher and washing machine. The other side was used for dining and would have a table and a set of chairs.

到了60年代,厨房的概念发生了巨大变化。空间和便利性成为厨房设计的重要目标。省时便利的现代厨具和家具被井井有条地塞进厨房。便于使用的瓷砖和油毯代替了木质和石质地面。这类厨房仍被一个台子分为两个部分。一侧用于做饭,通常放有炊具、水池、冰箱、洗碗机和洗衣机。而另外一侧用于吃饭,摆放着一张饭桌和一套座椅。

Today the traditional style is coming back into fashion. Tired of the sterile look of chrome and tile many people are choosing the warmth of wood again. An increasingly urbanized population are allured by the rustic styles of the past. To be fair, very few people have actually resorted to a genuine traditional kitchen. Only real diehard hippies would use antique implements and appliances to tend to their daily chores. Today’s kitchen is a mixture of old and new styles. It has the warmth and rich texture of the older one but with all the timesaving appliances and convenience of the 21st century.

如今,复古风格又卷土重来,成为时尚。人们厌倦了毫无生气的铬金属材料和瓷砖,再一次选择了有温暖感的木质材料。越来越多的都市人迷恋上过去的乡村风格。客观来讲,极少有人真正喜欢那类纯粹的传统厨房。只有那些真正的死硬派嬉皮士才会用那些古老的厨房器具来处理家庭的日常杂务。现代厨房是集传统和现代风格于一身的。它既拥有传统风格的温暖与华丽又拥有21世纪出现的全部省时便捷器具和便利性特征。

Kitchen Dialogue 厨房精彩对话

情景一

米克下班回家,看到他的女朋友朱莉正在厨房做饭。他们开始讨论他们的晚餐……

Mick: Hi, I’m home. It’s just starting to rain. Where are you?

米克: 嗨,我回来了。开始下雨了。你在哪呢?

Julie: In the kitchen.

朱莉: 在厨房。

Mick: Great! Is dinner ready? I could ②eat a horse.

米克: 好!饭好了吗?我都快要饿死了。

Julie: It’s Tuesday today. Remember?

朱莉: 今天是星期二。记得吗?

Mick: Yeah, so what?

米克: 是啊,怎么了?

Julie: It’s your turn to cook.

朱莉: 该你做饭了。

Mick: Shite! Ok. What do you fancy?

米克: 倒霉!那好吧。你想吃什么?

Julie: I’m not fussy.

朱莉: 我不挑食。

Mick: Something simple then. Let’s have a look at what we’ve got… How about pasta? We have a packet ③left over.

米克: 吃些简单的吧。我们来看看还有什么……意大利面怎么样?还剩一包。

Julie: I had pasta for lunch.

朱莉: 我中午就吃的意大利面。

Mick: Ok. I’ll check the freezer. Aha! A frozen pizza.

米克: 好的。我来看看冰箱里有什么。啊哈!有一张冻比萨饼。

Julie: No thanks. I’m sick of pizza.

朱莉: 不,谢了。我已经吃腻比萨饼了。

Mick: I thought you said you weren’t fussy. Do we have spuds?

米克: 我记得你说过你不挑食的。那我们吃土豆怎么样?

Julie: Yes. In the cupboard under the sink.

朱莉: 好。就在水池下面的柜子里。

Mick: Right. There are also a few pieces of cod in the fridge. We’ll be eating fish and chips tonight. Take it or leave it!

米克: 好的。冰箱里还有几块鳕鱼。今晚我们就吃鳕鱼和薯条吧。行还是不行?

Julie: Fine with me.

朱莉: 我没意见。

Mick: How do you like your chips cut?

米克: 你喜欢薯条切成什么样?

Julie: Thick and chunky, please. And leave the skin on too.

朱莉: 切成厚块。另外也不要削皮。

Mick: Ok. How was work?

米克: 好。今天工作怎么样?

Julie: The boss is still ④pissing us all off. Put on an apron, will you?

朱莉: 老板还是让我们感到窝火。穿上围裙好吗?

Mick: What’s wrong with him?

米克: 他怎么了?

Julie: He can’t handle pressure and takes it out on his staff.

朱莉: 他受不了压力,就发泄到员工身上了。

Mick: If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen!

米克: 如果你觉得太热,就别在厨房呆着了!

Julie: Mick, don’t cut the potatoes on the worktop. Use a cutting board for god’s sake.

朱莉: 米克,不要直接在柜子上切土豆。看在上帝的份上,用案板吧。

Mick: Sorry. How do you make the batter again?

米克: 对不起。你再说一下那个面糊怎么做?

Julie: Ahhhh…Mix some oil, eggs, water and flour in a bowl. Oh yeah! And add some salt. What are you doing?

朱莉: 嗯……在碗里放一些油、鸡蛋、水和面粉,然后搅拌一下。哦,对了!再加一些盐。你在做什么?

Mick: I’m stirring the batter mix.

米克: 我在搅和面糊啊。

Julie: Well take it easy. You’re making a right bloody mess of the counter.

朱莉: 嗯,别太急。你看你把台子弄得一团糟。

Mick: Stop interfering. Too many cooks spoil the broth, as the saying goes.

米克: 别碍事。那句谚语怎么说的来着: 厨师多了烧坏汤。

Julie: And who’s going to clean up after you? Hurry up will you? I’m starving.

朱莉: 可是谁帮你收拾啊?你能不能快点儿啊?我饿着呢。

Mick: Don’t get your knickers in a twist. I’m waiting for the oil to heat. You can’t rush an artist.

米克: 你不要着急啊。油还没热呢,我正在等。你不能催促艺术家啊。

Julie: You forgot to dip the fish in the batter. Some artist you are!

朱莉: 你忘了把鱼沾上面糊了。什么艺术家啊!

Mick: Blast! Look, why don’t you set the table while we are waiting?

米克: 倒霉!看,你为什么不在我们干等的时候去摆桌子呢?

Julie: I already have. I’m well ahead of you. That oil should be ready by now. Be careful not to splatter yourself. What are you doing with the spatula?

朱莉: 我已经摆好了。我比你快得多。油现在应该好了。小心别烫着。你用铲子干什么呢?

Mick: Stirring it.

米克: 我在搅和啊。

Julie: You don’t need to stir it. What’s all that smoke?

朱莉: 不用搅和。怎么这么多烟啊?

Mick: I think it’s burning.

米克: 我想是鱼糊了。

Julie: Quick! Turn off the cooker. Take the chip pan off the ring. Turn on that bloody air vent. God! You’ve ruined it. Look at the fish. It’s all black. What a waste!

朱莉: 快!把火关掉。把油炸锅从炉子上拿下来。把那该死的通风口打开。天啊!都被你毁了。看看那鱼。全黑了。多浪费啊!

Mick: We could still eat it.

米克: 我们还是可以吃的。

Julie: No way. As soon as it cools down throw it in the bin. I’m going to make a sandwich.

朱莉: 不行。等凉了就把它扔到垃圾桶里。我来做一个三明治。

Mick: You’re probably right. Ammm…. can you make me one too?

米克: 你可能是对的。嗯……能给我也做一个吗?

focal /`f9uk9l/ adj.焦点的

chore / C5 / n.家务杂事

recreate /`r1kri`eit/ v.休养;娱乐

lucrative /`l6kr9tiv/ adj.有利的

fussy /`f7si/ adj.挑剔的

spud /sp7d/ n.马铃薯

① pertain to关于

② eat a horse 非常饿

③ leave over 留下

chunky /`tH7Mki/ adj.厚实的

apron /`eipr9n/ n.围裙

turf /t8f/ n.泥炭

revive /ri`vaiv/ v.(使)复活;

chinaware /`tHain9w-9/ n.陶瓷器

clutter /`kl7t9/ n.混乱

array /9`rei/ n.排列;大批

timesaving /`taimseiviM/ adj.节省时间的

slab /sl2b/ n.板层

linoleum /li`n9ulj9m/ n.油毯

cooker /`kuk9/ n.炊具

sterile /`sterail/ adj.缺乏新意的

chrome /kr9um/ n.铬;铬合金

④piss off 滚开

⑤ give way to 让路

Recipe 教你一手

Dish: American Potato Salad

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of mayonnaise

1 teaspoon of mustard

1/4 teaspoon of celery seed

4 cups of cubed and cooked potatoes

1/2 cup of sweet pickle relish

1/2cup of sliced celery

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper

Directions: In a large bowl mix mayonnaise, mustard and celery seed. Add potato, relish and celery; mix lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until served.

菜名:美国土豆沙拉

准备时间:10分钟

配料:3/4杯蛋黄酱

1茶匙芥末

1/4茶匙芹菜籽

4杯方形的蒸熟了的土豆

1/2杯甜泡菜

1/2杯芹菜丝

1/2茶匙盐

1/4茶匙黑胡椒粉

说明:在一个大碗里将蛋黄酱、芥末和芹菜籽混合在一起。加入土豆、泡菜和芹菜后轻轻搅拌。再用盐和胡椒粉调味。在吃之前将它们保存在冰箱里。

情景二

主持人特里萨和厨师弗兰克联袂主持一档白天播出的烹饪节目。

Theresa: Welcome to “Cook Express”. We have received numerous letters from our viewers asking us for some fresh ideas on how to cook fish. So, today our very own chef, Frank, will be giving you some tasty fish dish tips. So, Frank, what’s on today’s menu?

特里萨: 欢迎收看“烹调快递”节目。我们收到大量观众来信,询问一些做鱼的新方法。所以,今天就请我们的厨师弗兰克来教大家一些做鱼肉佳肴的技巧。那么,弗兰克,今天我们的菜单上有什么啊?

Frank: Well Theresa, today I’m going to make vodka and citrus cured salmon.

弗兰克: 好的,特里萨,今天我们要做的是伏特加柑橘熏腌马哈鱼。

Theresa: Hmmm. Sounds delicious. But is it complicated to make?

特里萨: 嗯。听起来好像很好吃哦。但会不会很难啊?

Frank: Not at all. And the beauty of this dish is that it can be served at a formal dinner party or with a simple summer salad at home.

弗兰克: 一点也不难。这道菜的好处就在于,它既可以在正式聚餐上享用也可以配上简单的夏季沙拉作为家常菜食用。

Theresa: Great! First let’s take a look at the ingredients.

特里萨: 好极了!首先让我们看看需要什么材料吧。

Frank: Fine. Well, as you can see here we have a one pound salmon fillet.

弗兰克: 好的。嗯,你看到了,我们这里有一磅马哈鱼片。

Theresa: I notice that you have left the skin on it.

特里萨: 我注意到了你没有去掉鱼皮。

Frank: Yes, Theresa, that is important. We will also need a half-cup of salt, three tablespoons of sugar, a quarter-cup of fresh dill…

弗兰克: 是的,特里萨,这很重要。我们还需要半杯盐,3汤匙的糖,1/4杯的鲜莳萝……

Theresa: And that should be chopped, should it?

特里萨: 而且应该把它们剁碎了,是吗?

Frank: That’s right. We also have here a quarter-cup of lemon-flavoured vodka. This can be bought in most large supermarkets nowadays. And finally, we have lemon, lime and orange rind. These need to be ground up and we’ll require about two tablespoons of each.

弗兰克: 是的。我们这还有1/4杯的柠檬味伏特加。现在,这个在大多数的大型超市里都可以买到。最后,我们还需要柠檬、酸橙和桔皮。这些要碾成粉末,而每种材料我们需要两茶匙。

Theresa: OK. So, what’s the first step Frank?

特里萨: 好的。那么,弗兰克,第一步我们要做什么呢?

Frank: First we remove any small bones from the salmon like this.

弗兰克: 首先我们要去掉马哈鱼上的小刺,就像这样。

Theresa: What’s that you are using there?

特里萨: 你用的是什么?

rustic /`r7stik/ adj.乡村的

diehard /`daih3d/ n.顽固分子

twist /twist/ n.扭曲

vodka /`v4dk9/ n.伏特加酒

cure /kju9(r)/ v.(用晒、腌等方法)加工处理

ingredient /in`Gr1di9nt/ n.(烹调的)配料

fillet /`filit/ n.肉片;鱼片

tablespoon /`teiblsp6n/ n.大汤匙

Frank: This is called needle nose pliers. Normal tweezers would work just fine too. Next we rinse the salmon under running cold water and then place it, skin down, on a sheet or two of plastic wrap.

弗兰克: 这是尖口钳。用普通的小钳子也可以。然后,我们用冷水将马哈鱼冲干净,随后将其外皮朝下放在一层或两层塑料薄膜上。

Theresa: Does the salmon need to be dried after rinsing it?

特里萨: 马哈鱼在冲洗过后还用晾干吗?

Frank: Just give it a quick pat dry. Now we take all the other ingredients and mix them in a bowl like so. When it’s all well mixed we spread on the salmon.

弗兰克: 只要用快速拍打的方式把它弄干就可以了。现在,我们把所有其它配料放在一个碗里搅拌,就像这样。搅好之后,把它们涂抹在马哈鱼的鱼身上。

Theresa: I notice that you are pressing it into the salmon.

特里萨: 我注意到你是将它们用力涂抹在马哈鱼鱼身上的。

Frank: That’s correct. It is important to press the cure into the fleshy side of the salmon. Also it should be spread evenly so that the flavour permeates the entire fish. Now we must wrap the salmon tightly in the plastic wrap and place it on a baking tray. It’s important that there is a lot of weight on the fish so I’m going to place this ceramic dish over it and weigh it down with several tin cans. After that it must be refrigerated

弗兰克: 对。将这些配料用力涂抹在马哈鱼肉多的一侧是非常重要的。并且,你要均匀地将其涂抹在鱼身上,这样味道就可以渗入鱼身了。现在,我们必须把马哈鱼用塑料薄膜紧紧地包裹起来,并放在烤盘里。下面这点很重要,因为鱼很沉,所以我要把瓷盘倒扣到鱼身上,并用几个易拉罐牢牢压住。之后,必须把它冷冻起来。

Theresa: For how long?

特里萨: 需要多长时间啊?

Frank: At least 24 hours.

弗兰克: 至少24小时。

Theresa: That’s quite long isn’t it?

特里萨: 要这么长时间啊?

Frank: Yes, but it’s worth the wait.

弗兰克: 是啊,但等待是值得的。

Theresa: OK. So when it’s ready how should it be served?

特里萨: 好。如果时间到了,我们又要怎么处理呢?

Frank: First we peel the plastic wrap off and then rinse the entire cure off. Personally I like to cut it into diagonal pieces. Luckily, we have one that we made earlier. Have a try.

弗兰克: 首先我们要将塑料薄膜剥下来,然后将佐料都冲洗掉。我个人比较喜欢将鱼切成斜纹状。幸好,我们这里有一条已经做好的鱼。尝尝吧。

Theresa: Mmmmm! It’s fantastic. Another delicious easy to make recipe from Frank. Well, unfortunately, that’s all we have time for today. We’ll be back next week with more great cooking tips. Bye for now.

特里萨: 嗯!太棒了。弗兰克还有一道简单易做的菜肴要教给大家。不过,很可惜,我们今天没有时间了。我们会在下周给大家带来更多烹饪窍门。今天就到这里了,再见。

Frank: Bye.

弗兰克: 再见。

dill /dil/ n.莳萝

rinse /rins/ v.(用清水)冲洗掉

permeate /`p8mieit/ v.渗透

tray /trei/ n.盘

ceramic /si`r2mik/ adj.陶器的

peel /p1l/ v.剥;削

diagonal /dai`2G9nl/ adj.斜的

ravish /`r2viH/ v.强夺

tenement /`tenim9nt/ n.廉价公寓

riot /`rai9t/ n.暴乱;骚动

aftermath /`3ft9m2F/ n.结果;后果

roam /r9um/ v.徘徊;游荡

urchin /`8tHin/ n.顽童;小孩

⑥ attribute to 归因于

Tags:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.