Archive for June 4th, 2009

Learn Chinese Podcast – Happy China 529

Thursday, June 4th, 2009

Click to Watch Video Podcast

韩佳:东,西,南,北。

East, west, south and north,

观众朋友们,

ladies and gentlemen,

我们现在是在

we are now standing right at

大研古城四方街的正中心。

the center of Sifang Street of the

ancient city Dayan.

这里曾经是滇藏贸易

Here it was once the hub of trade

between Yunnan and Tibet

和中印贸易的枢纽。

and between China and India.

直到今天也一直很繁荣,

Still prosperous today,

什么店铺都有。

the street is lined with all kinds of shops.

来到古城最惬意的事儿啊

The most gratifying thing visitors here

就是逛街。

is to take a stroll along the streets here.

大牛:要我说啊,

In my opinion,

在大研古城最惬意的事儿

the most gratifying thing

就是坐在桥上晒太阳。

is to sit on the bridge basking in the sun.

韩佳:嗬,这人还挺会享受!

Ha, you do know how to enjoy yourself!

年轻人,起来活动活动!

Young man, stand up and do

some exercise!

大牛:你干吗呀?

What are you up to?

你以为我光在这里晒太阳哪?

You thought I am here just for

basking in the sun?

韩佳:那你在这里?

What else are you here for?

大牛:我在一边晒太阳

I am having my portrait done

一边请人画肖像。

as I sunbathe here.

Wo zai yi bian shai taiyang ,yi bian qing ren hua xiaoxiang.

我在一边晒太阳,一边请人画肖像。

I’m having my portrait done

as I sunbathe.

韩佳:他还什么都不耽误啊!

He is doing two things at the same time!

画家:好嘞,画好嘞。

Okay, your portrait is done.

大牛:哎哟,

Really?

怎么样?

What do you think?

韩佳:太有意思了!

It’s so interesting!

特点抓得特别准。

It precisely shows your most

striking features.

大牛:那是啊。

Yes, indeed.

这可是李克雄老师的作品啊。

You should know it is a work by

Mr. Li Kexiong.

李克雄老师

Mr. Li Kexiong

Kě shì dà yán gǔ chéng zhùmíng de jiē tóu màn huà jiā ne.

可 是 大 研 古 城 著名 的 街 头 漫画 家 呢。

is a famed street caricaturist in Dayan.

韩佳:啊,真的?

Oh, really?

大牛:嗯。

Yes.

韩佳:那李老师,

Mr. Li,

能不能给我也画一幅啊?

could you draw one of me, too?

画家:当然可以啊。

Sure, of course.

韩佳:谢谢。

Thanks.

大牛:那,我也给你画一幅。

Then, I’ll draw a portrait of you, too.

韩佳:你?

You?

那你可得好好画啊。

Then you must do it in real earnest.

大牛:我大牛啊,

I, Daniel,

学什么一学就会,一点就通。

am a fast learner and quick to understand.

你等着瞧吧。

You just wait and see.

韩佳:好吧。

Okay.

画家:好嘞,画好了。

Well, it’s done.

大牛:怎么这么快就画完了?

Why did you do it so quickly?

韩佳:哎呀!

Wow!

画得太好了!

What a superb portrait!

谢谢您啊,李老师。

Thanks a lot, Mr. Li.

画家:别客气,喜欢就好。

My pleasure as long as you like it.

大牛别急,慢慢画!

Take your time, Daniel!

好,再见!

Okay, bye-bye!

韩佳:大牛,你画好了没?

Daniel, have you finished?

我坚持不了啦。

I can’t hold on any longer.

大牛:漫画,漫画,

I am drawing a “manhua”,

就是得慢慢画。

so I have to draw it slowly.

韩佳:“漫画”的“漫”

The “man” in “manhua”

哪是“快慢”的“慢”啊。

is different from the “man” which

means slow.

哪有你那么解释的。

Your explanation is wrong.

“漫画”的“漫”就是…

The “man” in “manhua” means…

大牛:就是不受约束,

It means not to have any restraint

很随意的意思。

or do things casually.

韩佳:哎,

Oh,

你这不都挺明白的嘛!

you do understand what it means!

大牛:好了。你看。

It’s done. Look.

韩佳:啊!这是我吗?

Ah! Is this me?

这么丑!

It’s so ugly!

大牛:不丑,不丑啊。

No, it’s not ugly.

这只是个人风格不同。

Only it shows a different style

of the artist.

学术问题,你不懂。

You don’t understand scholastic intricacies.

韩佳:那你这个风格?

But is this your style?

哎,不许走!

Oh, you can’t go!

大牛:好险哪!

What a thrill!

要是让韩佳追上

It would be terrible

那还得了啊。

if Han Jia caught me.

我估计她要是追上了,

I guess if she caught me,

就得把我这张脸变成漫画。

she’d paint a cartoon on my face.

嘉宾:欢迎光临服饰店!

Welcome to this apparel and

ornament shop!

请问需要帮忙吗?

Can I help you, sir?

大牛:服饰店哪。

Oh, it’s a clothes shop.

我可以乔装打扮一下。

I can make up and disguise myself here.

真是天助我也!

This is a godsend for me!

我要你们这里

I want your most striking item

最有民族特色的衣服。

of ethnic minority clothing.

Wǒ yào nǐmen zhèlǐ zuì yǒu mínzú tèsè de yīfu

我 要 你们 这里 最 有 民族 特色 的 衣服。

I want your most striking item

of ethnic minority clothing.

怎么样啊?帅不帅?

What do you think? Am I handsome?

这女的呢?

Where are the clothes for women?

这女的的服饰是什么样呢?

What would women’s clothes look like?

韩佳:就是我这个样子喽。

Just like what I am wearing.

大牛:韩佳,你!

Han Jia, it’s you!

你也来了?

You also came here?

韩佳:对啊。

Yeah.

是不是很有缘分啊?

Don’t you think it’s fate for us

to meet here?

大牛:是啊。是啊。

Yeah. Yeah.

韩佳,你穿纳西族服装真好看。

Han Jia, you look so pretty in

a Naxi dress shawl.

韩佳:真的啊。谢谢。

Yes. Thank you.

这古城就得多逛,

We should see as many places

as possible in this old town

多逛才能发现有特色的店铺。

so that we can find more special shops.

对吧?

Am I right?

大牛:对,对,对。

Yeah, you are right.

比如说,你穿的这件衣服

For instance, the shawl you are wearing

就很有特色。

is quite unique.

韩佳:你看出来啦?

You also find it unique?

那你说说看有什么特色。

Then tell me how unique it is.

大牛:最有特色的就是这披…

The most unique part is the

so-called “pi” …

韩佳:披星戴月,对吧?

“Pi xing dai yue”, right?

大牛:啊,“披星戴月”。

Yes, “pi xing dai yue”.

不就是日出前出去,日落才回来嘛?

Doesn’t that mean to go out before

sunrise and return after nightfall?

韩佳:对啊。

Yes.

“披星戴月”就是指起早贪黑,

“Pi xing dai yue” means to go

out before sunrise

辛苦得跑来跑去。

and return after nightfall or

working very hard.

我身上的披肩

The shawl I am wearing is

就是纳西族女性最具特色的服饰。

the most representative of Naxi

women’s clothing.

你看。我身后的

Look. The patterns on my back

这些代表星星。

represent stars.

头上的这个代表月亮。

And the headpiece represents the moon.

所以呢就被称为“披星戴月”。

So the entire attire is called

“pi xing dai yue”.

Pī xīng dài yuè

披 星 戴 月

to go out before sunrise and

return after nightfall

大牛:就是嘛,多有特点哪。

Yes, it’s indeed very special.

韩佳:这也是为了称颂纳西族女性

I am wearing it also as a way

to express my

每天披星戴月的辛勤工作啊。

admiration for Naxi women’s diligence.

大牛:我觉得

I believe

每一位勤劳善良的女性,

every diligent and kind female

都应该被称颂。

deserves respect and admiration.

你看韩佳,她天天逛街。

Take Han Jia for example, she strolls

around the town every day.

辛苦了!

What a tireless journalist!

韩佳:你说什么?

What did you say?

大牛:你天天工作,辛苦了。

Working every day, you must be tired.

韩佳:没关系,没关系。

That’s all right for me.

还有好多店没逛呢。

There are still many shops we

haven’t visited yet.

没准儿啊,又有新发现。

Probably we’ll have new discoveries.

赶快走吧。

Come on, let’s go.

大牛:哎哟,您先歇会儿,

Oh, you take a break

看看我们今天的赏心悦目。

and enjoy today’s Feast for the Eyes.

我呀追韩佳去。

I have to go after Han Jia.

赏心悦目:

每一位来古城的游客

All visitors to this ancient town

都会情不自禁放慢脚步

cannot help slowing down their paces

享受别处难得的悠闲

for a nice stroll hardly found elsewhere.

暖日 溪水 游鱼

Warm sunshine, streams and fish,

古居 鲜花 垂柳

ancient houses, flowers and willows

莫不让人心神怡然

all make you totally relaxed and refreshed.

午后的阳光

The afternoon sunshine

入夜的灯火

and night lights

衬托出古城的活力与辉煌

set off this ancient town’s vitality and charm.

韩佳:哎呀,

Oh,

逛古城最开心的事儿

the most enjoyable part of visiting

那就是

this old town is

大牛:逛街。

to stroll around.

是,她倒是逛得挺痛快。

Yes, she does seem to be

having a good time.

这身衣服的钱还得我掏呢!

But I have to pay for the clothes

she bought!

哎,韩佳,

Eh, Han Jia,

这事儿别忘了。

there is something you mustn’t forget.

韩佳:哦,出题啊?

Oh, setting today’s question?

忘不了。

No, I won’t.

今天的题目呢是这样的。

Here’s today’s question.

(问题部分略)

大牛:韩佳,

Han Jia,

我说的不是这件事。

I didn’t mean this.

韩佳:口号是吧?

You mean our slogan?

我更忘不了啦。

I’ll neither forget that.

学说中国话,朋友遍天下。

Learn Chinese and make friends everywhere!

明天见!

See you tomorrow!

大牛:不是!

No!

我说的是这身衣服。

I mean the clothes you are wearing!

(Source: cctv.com)

Chinese Conversation – lesson 462

Thursday, June 4th, 2009

小莉︰ 你对巴黎熟吗?
皮耶︰ 当然熟啊。我是巴黎人。
小莉︰ 我们需要租辆汽车或机车什么的吗?
皮耶︰ 可以啊,年轻的亚洲之花,或是,你们是怎么说的,脚踩车吗?
小莉︰ 租一辆脚踏车?我不知道我是不是想晚上打扮得美美的,然后穿着高跟鞋踩脚踏车出去。
皮耶︰ 亲亲宝贝。我有汽车。我可以载你到处玩。
小莉:嘿!为什么你不早点说?
皮耶:你又没有问,不是吗?说够了,亲爱的小莉,去打包吧!

Li: Do you know your way around Paris?
Pierre: But of course. I am from Paris.
Li: Should we rent a car or scooters or something?
Pierre: You can, young Asian flower, or a, how do you say, bicyclette.
Li: A bicycle? I don’t know if I want to get decked out for the night and have to ride a bicycle in high heels.
Pierre: Chou. I have an automobile. I can take you everywhere.
Li: Hey, why didn’t you say so earlier?
Pierre: You didn’t ask, no? Enough talk, petit Li. Go and pack now!

(Source: wwenglish.com)

Cri – Lesson 344

Thursday, June 4th, 2009

If someday you come across your friend A who is companied by another stranger, and you wonder who the stranger is, you can say:

PinyinT shŒ shuŠ ?

Chinese 谁 ?

[tB F FeI]

EnglishWho is he?

If you want to introduce friend A to friend B, you can say:

PinyinZhˆ wˆi shŒ

Chinese ____

[dVE weI F]

EnglishThis is _____. (refering to a person)

Tips: This expression is used when you want to introduce A to B.

(Source: bjchinese.bjedu.cn)