Archive for December 11th, 2008

China Travel – Hutian Ancient Kiln Site

Thursday, December 11th, 2008

The Hutian Ancient Kiln Site is located in Hutian Village in the suburb of Jingdezhen City, Jiangxi Province.

 

Jingdezhen of Jiangxi Province is most famous porcelain-making city in China. The porcelain made in Jingdezhen has a color as blue as the sky and as white as jade, and is as bright as mirror, as thin as paper. When knocked, it gives out a sound like that of a chime stone. It is a precious kind of porcelain among the early kinds that got a worldwide reputation. Hence Jingdezhen is reputed as the City of Porcelain in China.

 

The Hutian Ancient Kiln Site is like a shining pearl among the ancient kilns in Jingdezhen, covering an area of 400,000 square meters. Pottery making in kilns started from the Five Dynasties Period (907-960), developed through the Song (960-1279) and Yuan (1271-1368) Dynasties, and then ended in the mid Ming Dynasty. Relics of the Five Dynasties Period scatter in the east part of the village, and relics of the Song and Yuan Dynasties are distributed in the south, while the Ming relics spread in an area with Pipa Mountain as its center.

 

Liujiawu and Pipa Mountain have the richest deposit of tools used in making pottery and porcelain shatters, with deposit layer of about a few dozen meters high at the center. Big stoves and workshop sites scatter along both banks of the Tianmen Gouge . Among porcelain wares of the Five Dynasties Period, the most delicate kind is the white glazed ware. The crab-shell green bowl and white glazed plate, made into various shapes, were thin and transparent, with light green glaze and delicate patterns. These were the masterpieces of porcelain at that time. Porcelain wares of the Song Dynasty (960-1279) were mainly decorated with fine patterns and made into beautiful shapes. Wares of the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368) were mainly black and yellow ones as well as some celadon wares. In the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), porcelain wares in the site were mainly celadon wares used by ordinary civilians.

 

The Hutian Ancient Kiln Site represents the development of porcelain-making techniques, artistic quality and production scale, and provides important concrete materials for the research into the developing history of Chinese porcelain.

(Source: chinaculture.org)

Chinese Culture – Mausoleums of Princes and Emperors & Large Graveyards for Aristocratic Families

Thursday, December 11th, 2008

 

Mausoleums of princes and emperors, as well as large clan graveyards for aristocratic families, from the Eastern Jin Dynasty (317-420) to the Southern Dynasty (420-589)

 

Location: Nanjing, Jiangsu Province

 

Period: 3rd century-5th century

 

Excavated in 1964

 

Significance: It plays a key role in understanding the history of the Southern and Northern Dynasties Period, especially the funerary systems of that time. 

Gold object with cicada design: ornament (up, height 5.4 cm); Ram-shaped celadon water dropper: water vessel (bottom, length 15.5 cm)

 

 Introduction

 

Mausoleums of Princes and Emperors & Large Graveyards for Aristocratic Families from the Eastern Jin to the Southern Dynasty in Nanjing are located around Nanjing City and Danyang County. Altogether there exist 31 tombs. The construction of the mausoleums here follows very strict Fengshui, which is of great help in understanding the history of the Southern and Northern Dynasties Period, especially the funerary systems of that time.

 

The underground halls of the tombs are built of bricks, and the doors, in the shape of half-moon are built of stones. On the walls of the underground halls are many colorful inlays. In front of the tombs is the Sacred Way (Shendao), along which are stone animals and monuments. There are also long barrel-drains before each tomb.

 

Unfortunately, being frequently robbed over the years, the tombs almost have nothing valuable left.

Source: chinaculture.org

Learn Chinese Podcast – Happy China 354

Thursday, December 11th, 2008
 
 

     韩佳:快乐学汉语,轻松又好记。

  Learn Chinese the fun way.

  It’s much easier to remember.

  欢迎来到《快乐中国》。

  Welcome to Happy China.

  我是快乐的韩佳。

  I am the happy Han Jia.

  大牛:欢迎,欢迎。

  Welcome, welcome.

  韩佳,等一会儿,我马上就好。

  Wait a minute, Han Jia.

  I’m ready in no time.

  韩佳:干吗呀?

  What are you doing?

  我要收帐篷啊,

  I am breaking camp

  背上大包,继续我们的驴友之行—

  and packing so as to continue our hike

  喀纳斯之旅。

  around the Kanas Lake area.

  韩佳:大牛,真不好意思。

  Daniel, I’m sorry.

  我已经决定不当你的驴友了。

  I’ve decided not to be your travel

  companion this time.

  大牛:那你一个人走行吗?

  You are sure you can travel alone?

  韩佳:这你不用担心。

  Don’t worry about it.

  我刚刚认识了几位摄友,

  I’ve just made the acquaintance

  with a few “she you”,

  就是爱好摄影的朋友。

  amateur photographers.

  我决定跟他们一块儿走。

  I’ve decided to go with them.

  真不好意思。先走了。

  I’m sorry. I’m leaving now.

  大牛:哎,你怎么脱离组织啊?

  Hey, how could you act independently

  of the team?

  您这个相机看上去挺高级啊?

  Your camera looks pretty super?

  嘉宾:这是专业的。

  It’s professional.

  韩佳:哎,大牛!

  Hey, Daniel!

  大牛:韩佳。

  Hi, Han Jia.

  韩佳:你怎么?

  How come?

  大牛:这么巧啊。你这是要去哪儿啊?

  It’s all by chance. Where are

  you headed?

  韩佳:我们要去神仙湾拍照啊。那你呢?

  We’re heading for Shenxian Lake

  for pictures. What about you?

  大牛:正好我也要去神仙湾呢。

  I am also going to Shenxian Lake.

  反正也是同路,干脆我们结伴而行吧。

  Since we are heading for the same

  destination, we’d better go together.

  Gāncuì zánmen jié bàn ér xíng ba!

  干脆 咱们 结 伴 而 行 吧!

  Let’s go together!

  哎呀,都说水是喀纳斯的灵魂。

  Wow, no wonder locals say water

  is the soul of Kanas.

  这话一点儿也不假。

  It’s absolǘtely true.

  韩佳:没错儿。

  Exactly.

  你看,在阳光的照射下,

  Under the sunshine,

  喀纳斯湖的湖水流光异彩。

  the water of Kanas Lake is resplendent

  with colors.

  那边的树叶还闪闪发光。

  And the trees over there also sparkle

  with light.

  嘉宾:哎,韩佳,这边景色好。

  Eh, Han Jia, The scenery here

  is so good.

  快过来拍几张。

  Come over here and take a few shots.

  韩佳:哎,来了。

  Okay, I’m coming.

  大牛:韩佳,等等,等等。

  Wait a minute, Han Jia.

  你先帮我在这里拍一张吧,留个纪念。

  Please take a picture of me first

  as a memento of this trip.

  韩佳:这你就不懂了吧。

  Don’t you know that

  我们搞摄影的人是专门拍景,不拍人的。

  we photographers always shoot

  scenes, never figures.

  大牛:那我自拍。

  Then I’ll do it myself.

  韩佳:哎,你自己怎么拍啊?

  Hey, how can you do it yourself?

  还是我来帮你吧。

  Let me help you.

  大牛:谢谢啊。

  Thanks.

  韩佳:准备了啊。笑。

  Ready. Smile.

  哎,大牛,你在这儿慢慢玩。

  Eh, Daniel, take your time and

  enjoy yourself here.

  我们先走了。

  We’re moving on.

  大牛:哎,你急什么呀?

  Hey, what’s the hurry?

  我知道鸭泽湖也叫野鸭湖。

  We know Yaze Lake is also called

  Wild Duck Lake.

  我对野鸭湖可是向往已久。

  I’ve long been looking forward

  to seeing it.

  Wo duì yěyā Hú kě shì xiàngwǎng yǐ jiǔ.

  我 对 野鸭 湖 可 是 向往 已 久。

  I’ve been looking forward to going to

  Wild Duck Lake for a long time.

  韩佳:大牛刚才说向往已久。

  Daniel said just now “xiang

  wang yi jiu”.

  向往就是说

  By “xiang wang” he means that

  因为热爱或羡慕某种事物或境界,

  someone loves or admires something

  or someplace

  而希望得到或达到。

  so much that he hopes to get it

  or reach it.

  大牛:韩佳,我看这里一定是野鸭湖吧。

  Han Jia, I presume this must be

  the Wild Duck Lake.

  那里有野鸭子,

  There are wild ducks over there,

  我看得有十多只左右吧。

  at least about more than ten.

  韩佳:哎,你这句话可有问题啊。

  Hey, something wrong with

  your sentence.

  十多和左右都是表示大概的数字。

  ”shi duo” and “zuo you” both mean

  a proximate number.

  十多只肯定是表示十只以上。

  ”shi duo” means definitely more

  than ten.

  十只左右既可以表示十只以下,

  ”shi zhi zuo you” may mean both

  less than ten

  也可以表示十只以上。

  and more than ten.

  所以你用一个就够了。

  So you should have used only

  one modifier.

  大牛:哦,我看得有十只左右。

  Oh, I presume “shi zhi zuo you”

  (about ten).

  这回对了吧?

  Am I right this time?

  韩佳:对。

  Yes, you are.

  在这片湿地上不光有成群结队的野鸭,

  In this wetland, there are not only

  flocks of wild ducks,

  运气好的话呢,

  if you are lǘcky,

  还能看到很多种其它的鸟。

  you’ll see many other kinds of birds.

  对了,我得去多拍几张。

  Oh, yeah, I’d better go take some

  pictures now.

  大牛:韩佳,你看那些野鸭子那么悠然自得!

  Han Jia, look what a leisurely time

  those wild ducks are having!

  我们拍照别吓着它们。

  We mustn’t scare them when

  taking pictures.

  韩佳:嗨,放心吧。我会离它们远远的。

  Yeah, rest assured. I’ll keep quite

  a distance from them.

  不会靠近的,我有这个。

  I won’t be too close to them

  because I have this.

  大牛:其实啊,我这个也有推拉的功能。

  In fact, my camera also has zoom-in

  zoom-out functions.

  韩佳:哦,

  Huh,

  哎,好好的,怎么不拍了呀?

  it all goes smoothly, but why you

  stop shooting?

  Hǎohāor de, nǐ zěnme bù pāi le?

  好好儿 的,你 怎么 不 拍 了?

  Everything’s fine, why don’t

  you take a photo?

  大牛:不是。

  Not that.

  我这个镜头怎么一推上去就不稳了呢。

  My camera won’t stay stable when

  in zoom-in mode.

  嘉宾:大牛,你这缺了个三角架。

  Daniel, you need a tripod.

  有三角架就稳了。

  It’ll stay stable with a tripod.

  你看我们怎么拍的。

  Look how we are shooting pictures.

  大牛:看来他们包里的东西

  I guess it’s one of the necessary

  也是必不可少的家伙啊。

  facilities in their bag.

  三角架啊,三角架。

  A tripod, yeah, a tripod.

  要不摄像师您受累,

  I have to bother you, cameraman,

  这个三角架借我用用好吧?

  I’d like to borrow this tripod, okay?

  想什么呢?

  What are you thinking about?

  韩佳:拍了不少照片,也看了不少美景。

  I’ve taken a lot of pictures,

  seen a lot of scenery.

  路也走了不少。

  and also walked a lot.

  我现在有点…

  Now I feel a bit …

  大牛:饿了是吧?

  Hungry?

  要想在野外吃东西,

  If you want a picnic here,

  还是得靠我这个包里的东西。

  you have to rely on things in my bag.

  韩佳:嗬!

  Wow!

  大家来,吃饭了啊。

  Come on, everybody. It’s lunchtime.

  嘉宾:我们也带了。

  We have food.

  大牛:那正好,

  Good,

  我们今天就来一个驴友、

  let’s just have a big meal together

  with our “lǘ you” (co-backpackers)

  摄友大聚餐。

  and “she you” (co-photographers).

  怎么样?

  What do you think?

  韩佳:好啊,好啊!

  Good, terrific!

  不过在吃饭之前我们先来消遣一下,

  But before our meal, we’d better

  relax awhile

  看看今天的赏心悦目。

  by watching today’s Feast for the Eyes.

  赏心悦目:

  神仙湾是喀纳斯河在山涧低缓处形成的一片沼泽浅滩

  Shenxian Lake is a swamp formed by the Kanas

  River at the low-lying foothills.

  岸边是优良的天然牧场

  On its bank is a fertile pastureland.

  牛羊骏马在这里怡然自得

  Cattle, sheep and horses graze leisurely.

  开阔平坦的沼泽草滩

  The flat grassy swampland

  吸引了种类繁多的禽鸟在这块湿地上栖息

  is home to a good variety of water birds,

  与宁静的湖水相映成趣

  giving life to this tranquil lake.

  今天可过得真够充实的,

  We’ve had a full day today,

  美景赏了不少,照片也拍了很多。

  enjoying a lot of beautiful scenery

  and taking a lot of pictures.

  那接下来呢我们就要…

  Now we are going to …

  大牛:开饭了!

  Start the meal!

  韩佳:我的意思是要出今天的问题了。

  I mean it’s time for today’s question.

  大牛:哦,对对对。

  Oh, yeah, yeah.

  (问题部分略)

  韩佳:那您也可以通过以下方式

  You can also participate

  随时参与我们的活动。

  using the following method.

  大牛:只要您答对了,精美礼品等您拿。

  As long as you have answered correctly,

  an exquisite gift will be waiting for you.

  韩佳:抓紧时间踊跃参加。

  Why not act now?

  好了,别忘了我们的口号:

  Yeah, don’t forget our slogan:

  合: 学说中国话,朋友遍天下。

  Learn Chinese and have friends everywhere.

(Source: cctv.com)