Archive for August 26th, 2008

Chinese Characters: Atlanta (city) 亚特兰大

Tuesday, August 26th, 2008

Atlanta (city):

Chinese Pinyin: ya4 te4 lan2 da4

(Source: about.com)

Learn Chinese Podcast – Happy China 247

Tuesday, August 26th, 2008

                                  Click to Watch Video Podcast

韩佳: 怎么样,渊源?

What do you think, Yuanyuan?

这舞蹈不好学吧?

Is the dance hard to learn?

王渊源:不行了,不行了!

I can’t go on like this anymore!

太累了。

I’m too tired.

韩佳: 大家好!

Hello there!

快乐学汉语,万里海疆行!

Learning Chinese the fun way and enjoying

a happy journey along the coast!

我是快乐的韩佳。

I’m Merry Han Jia.

王渊源:我是快乐的渊源。

And I’m Happy Yuanyuan.

我们现在在深圳的中国民俗文化村。

Right now we’re at Shenzhen’s

China Folk Culture Village.

你看我这身衣服。

Look at the way I’m dressed.

怎么样,帅吧?

Do you think I’m quite elegant?

韩佳: 刚换上就夸起自个儿来了!

You just changed into it and now

you start singing your own praises!

那你知道这是什么民族的服装吗?

Then do you know what ethnic group

the costume belongs to?

王渊源:当然知道。

Of course.

这不就是什么族来着?

It just belongs to what’s-its-name?

韩佳: 我就知道你肯定说不上来。

I knew you didn’t know.

这是佤族的服装。

This is the costume of

the Wa ethnic group.

王渊源:哦,佤族?

Oh, the Wa ethnic group?

那佤族有什么风俗习惯你知道吗?

Then do you know what customs

the Wa people have?

韩佳: 当然知道了。

Of course, I know.

佤族的风俗习惯?

The customs of the Wa people?

王渊源:哦,原来你也不清楚啊。

Oh, actually you don’t know either.

韩佳: 我不清楚没关系。

It doesn’t matter if I

don’t know.

有人知道就行了。

But there’s someone who knows.

有请。

Now please.

王渊源:你好。

Hello.

还是您给我们介绍介绍吧?

Can you tell us something

about your customs?

嘉宾: 佤族人主要生活在云南,

We ethnic Wa people mainly

live in Yunnan

我们靠近缅甸。

near Myanmar.

人口有三十七万。

We have a population of 370,000.

那我们佤族呢

We Wa people

我们不但是以黑为美的一个民族。

regard black as the symbol

of beauty.

我们的节日就很多了,

We have many festivals

我们有狩猎舞,有甩发舞。

and dances, such as hunting dance

and hair-swaying dance.

韩佳: 谢谢。这回明白了吧?

Thanks. Now you understand?

佤族主要是以黑为美,

The Wa ethnic group regards black

as the symbol of beauty

而且还会跳甩头舞。

and can dance the hair-swaying dance.

观众朋友们,您明白了吗?

Audience friends, are you clear now?

这个民俗文化村的兴建呢,

The aim of the Folk Culture Village

正是为了让人们能够在最短的时间内

is to help people learn in

the shortest possible time

去了解这些风俗习惯各异的民族。

about the different customs of

these ethnic groups.

王渊源:韩佳,你刚才说的“异”

Han Jia, the “yi” you said

就是不一样、不相同的意思,对吧?

means different, right?

韩佳: 没错儿。

Right.

“异”呢就是指不一样、不相同的意思。

“Yi” means different.

那“各异”呢就是指各不相同。

And “ge yi” means each

being different.

Zhè xiē mínzú de fēngsú xíguàn gè yì

这 些 民族 的 风俗 习惯 各 异。

Each of these ethnic groups has different

social customs and habits.

王渊源:韩佳,她们这是干什么呀?

Han Jia, what are they doing?

韩佳: 打陀螺呀。

They are playing tops.

打陀螺可是中国一项

Top playing is a traditional

传统的民间娱乐活动。

folk sport in China.

不过这高山族的打陀螺呢

But the ethnic Gaoshan people

可算是比较有特点的哦。

play tops very uniquely.

王渊源:看起来不太难。

It doesn’t look very difficult.

我也去试试看吧。

Let me have a try.

韩佳: 好。

Okay.

王渊源:你好。

Hello.

嘉宾: 你好。

Hello.

王渊源:你能教我打陀螺吗?

Can you teach the top-playing?

嘉宾: 没问题。

No problem.

来,你先拿着。

Come on. Hold it first.

这个我已经缠好了。

I’ve already wound it with

the string.

对。

Right.

然后打出去的时候,

Then when you throw it out,

手要翻过来。

the palm of the hand should

be turned upward.

把这个对上。

Position your hands like this.

然后拉。

Then pull back your hand.

看我的。

Look how I’m doing it.

王渊源:我先看你的。

I’ll look at your demonstration.

嘉宾: 示范一下。

Yes, a demonstration.

王渊源:哎,不错。那我来一个。

Oh, great. Let me have a try.

嘉宾: 转个弯然后拉回来。

Turn your hand and pull it back.

王渊源:还转了一点。

It does spin a bit.

韩佳,你来看看我,

Han Jia, look,

我打得怎么样,不错吧?

do you think I’m playing it

pretty well?

韩佳: 嗯,还凑合吧!

Oh, not that bad!

王渊源:“凑合”什么意思啊?

What does “couhe” mean?

韩佳: “凑合”就是指勉勉强强,

“Couhe” means passable,

使人不是很满意。

or not very satisfactory.

王渊源:“凑合”就是指勉勉强强,

So “couhe” means passable,

使人不是很满意。

or not that bad.

韩佳: 比如说,

For example,

这道菜的味道还算凑合;

the taste of this dish

is passable;

这日子过得还算凑合吧。

my life isn’t that bad.

再比如我刚才说的,

Another example just as I said,

Tā de shuǐpíng hái suàn còuhe

他 的 水平 还 算 凑合。

He’s not that bad at it.

怎么样,渊源,你行不行啊?

Well, Yuanyuan, are you

sure you’re up to it?

王渊源:谁说我不行啊?

Who said I am not?

你来看看。我试试。

Just look. Now I’ll have a try.

韩佳: 口气倒不小。

You sound so confident.

渊源,

Yuanyuan,

我看你还是跟师傅多学着点儿吧。

I think you’d better learn a bit

more from your teacher.

王渊源:韩佳,你不能光说不练。

Han Jia, you can’s just talk

with no action.

你也得学一门本事吧。

You should also learn some skill.

韩佳: 这个呀你放心。

Please rest assured about that.

我早就选好了。就是这个。

I’ve already chosen one.

It’s just this.

王渊源:这个 椰子?

This coconut?

你要学吃椰子?

You want to learn how to

eat coconuts?

这算什么本事啊!

This is no skill at all!

而且这吃椰子怎么能少得了我呀。

But you can’t eat coconuts

without me.

韩佳: 谁说我是学吃椰子呀?

Who said I want to learn

how to eat coconuts?

我是学开椰子。

I want to learn how to

open a coconut.

王渊源:开椰子?

How to open a coconut?

韩佳: 嗯。

Yes.

王渊源:什么意思啊?

What do you mean?

韩佳: 你可看好了。

Look carefully.

怎么样?

What do you think?

王渊源:这是你打开的吗?

You opened it yourself?

韩佳: 那还有假。这回傻眼了吧?

No trick. Are you stunned?

王渊源:傻眼?

“Sha yan”?

韩佳: “傻眼”就是指刚才渊源那样,

“Sha yan” means to be stunned

just like

一副愣住了的样子。

the way Yuanyuan looked

just now.

王渊源:“傻眼”就是指一副愣住了的样子。

So “sha yan” means to be stunned.

这到底是怎么打开的?

How exactly did you open it?

怎么这么快啊!

You did it so quickly!

韩佳: 是这样的,

The fact is that

黎族大部分都居住在海南岛。

most of the ethnic Li people

live on Hainan Island.

而那边的椰子非常多。

There are a lot of coconut

trees there.

那久而久之呢,

With the passage of time,

他们就了解了开椰子的秘诀了。

they finally uncovered the secret

of opening coconuts.

至于我嘛,

As for me,

那肯定是有高人指点了。

of course, I had a master

to teach me.

你看。

Look.

王渊源:哇,真快啊!

Wow, you opened it so quickly!

韩佳: 这回真傻眼了吧?

Are you stunned?

快完成了已经。

It’s almost done.

嘉宾: 完成了。

It’s done.

王渊源:太快了!

You did it so quickly!

韩佳: 这样已经开成功了。

It’s been opened successfully.

哇,好多!

Wow, there is so much!

让渊源慢慢琢磨去吧。

Let Yuanyuan take his time

to think about it.

我们还是来看看

And we should take a look

今天的赏心悦目。

at today’s Feast for the Eyes.

赏心悦目:

多彩天地 锦绣中华

The Splendid China section

小巧玲珑的景观惟妙惟肖

is comprised of miniature landscapes covering

人文胜迹 名山大川

China’s major sites of historical interest,

mountains and rivers.

九百六十万平方公里的风景

Tourist attractions over an area of

9.6 million square kilometers

汇聚成一番别致的天地

all converge here in the park.

中国地大物博 民族众多

China has a large territory and

abundant resources.

五十六个兄弟民族亲如一家

Its 56 ethnic groups are as close to each

other as members of one family.

在民俗村中尽情展示着

The Folk Culture Village features

各具特色的民俗表演

performances of various ethnic customs.

韩佳: 这个锦绣中华园呢,

The Splendid China Theme Park

几乎已经把中国有名的景点

takes in almost all famous

都包括进去了。

Chinese tourist attractions.

一天时间要游遍全中国,

So traveling all over China

这可不是不可能的。

in a single day is not impossible.

王渊源:是啊。我这就准备出发了。

Yeah. Now I’m ready to

set off.

韩佳: 你出发之前,

But before you set off,

能不能先把今天的

can you leave today’s

有奖问答题留下呀?

award-winning question for us?

王渊源:对。今天的有奖问答题是这样的。

Sure. Here’s today’s award-

winning question.

(问题部分略)

节目的最后,

At the end of the program,

还是要提醒您,

we’d still want to remind you

别忘了我们的口号。

not to forget our slogan.

合: 学说中国话,朋友遍天下!

Learn Chinese and make friends everywhere!

韩佳: 明天见。

See you tomorrow.

(Source: cctv.com)

Chinese Pinyin – ba (叭)

Tuesday, August 26th, 2008
叭: [ bā ]